Sunday, July 24, 2011

Who Says?

"We can never judge the lives of others, because each person knows only their own pain and renunciation. It's one thing to feel that you are on the right path, but it's another to think that yours is the only path." 
 Paulo Coelho

I found this quote as I was searching for the love quote I blogged about last.

Lately I've been frustrated. Frustrated with the past, and frustrated with others.

I sometimes feel as if I'm watching a movie, most often a horror movie, and screaming at the screen.
Don't do it! That's a bad choice! You're setting yourself up to get burned!

While I feel like there are some definite do's and don'ts in life, who am I to judge what is right or wrong for another person?
Not only is it not my job, but I don't need the stress of worrying about others.

It is like the John Mayer song, Who Says.
I mean, really.. Who says I can't dye my hair, have a drink, or go out with friends?
Who says I couldn't get a boob job or have another child? (which I didn't, and I'm not..)
Who says I can't buy a new outfit or splurge on a pair of shoes? (which I did)!

Not only is today the day to stop worrying about other's opinions of me, and justifying my decisions to those who need no justification..

Today, is a fresh start. A day of letting go of the past, and trying my best to not judge others because they make decisions I wouldn't.

Today is the day I end the unnecessary negativity in my life.
This means not gossiping, speculating, or feeling superior because my life choices differ from others.
It means appreciating the variety and difference of the other people in my life.
And most importantly, it means being a better friend to others, the way I wish they were to me.

Maybe this will come full circle.

Maybe, just maybe, 

1 comment:

  1. I find this to be one of the most challenging changes. Over the years I have been horrible about judging, and of course not wanting people to judge me in return. for example; I was raised with a poor view on women who gave birth before marriage and then I had my son well before my wedding and I knew (and was even told at work) that people were judging me for it... it shouldn't take going through it to know I shouldn't judge people for it, but unfortunately that really hit me hard. Really with so much to worry about daily with a husband, a "business" and a child, why should I spend time worrying about what Joe, Sally, and John are doing? I want to try to change this in my life, and I hope I can make even a small change (i'm really really bad)

    ReplyDelete