Monday, September 26, 2011

Defining moments

When I look back on my 20 years of life, there seem to be certain bullets on my timeline.

Some typical, like getting my first dog (Wishbone), and riding without training wheels for the first time (because my dad tricked me..)
Some not so typical, like the first school dance my sophomore year, or my camera falling into a lake.

This thought process began because
One year ago today, my oldest brother got married... on a lake. And right after the ceremony, a family member knocked my camera into that lake.
At the time, it was more of an aggravation than a defining moment. I was 8 months pregnant, and obviously wanted to have a camera to be able to keep
everyone updated on the kiddies once we headed back to New York.
At the time, I thought this camera was wonderful, and I was so sad because of the untimely death. I wouldn't have purchased a new camera anytime in the
near future.. unless another 'tragedy' struck.

But because of all of the life changing events coming up, we decided to spend a little bit extra and get a better camera. Nothing too fancy, a lower line
Canon Rebel. At the time, I had no idea what DSLR's were capable of, but it seemed like a good investment for our growing family.
Today I use that camera to keep my husband up to date with the growth of our children, and for my photography.

As the one year anniversary of my camera's death approached, I realized how much that single accident has affected my life in the last few months. I developed a love for something new, something that pushes me to challenge myself, and something that helps me pass the time with Nathan gone. My temporary love and a hobby that I can pour my whole heart into throughout this year.

I started wondering to myself how things would be different if that one accident didn't happen.

How did such a trivial event become a 'bullet' on my time line, and what other events could be considered the same?

So, here they are.. Some of the things that have influenced my life; Most of which were thoughts that never came full circle until today.

There are big things like:
Having my beautiful, wonderful, amazing children .
Marrying Nathan, moving to New York, and making some amazing friends and experiencing new things.
All of my years of dance and extracurriculars that led me to be confident in and comfortable with myself,
created friendships and bonds, and led me to one of my biggest role models.
The divorce that resulted in my best friend moving.
Mistakes that have given the opportunity for forgiveness, helping my marriage to grow.


Silly things like:
The job change/move that ended the relationship with my 'first love' lol..
The NSYNC and Spice Girls dance parties and red bull nights that bonded me with my BFF's.
Fighting over boys, only to realize they weren't as important as we first thought.


And the random, crazy little things like:
The myspace message that started my marriage.
Needing help with luggage and meeting a great new friend.
A long ago lock in where I met two other very special friends.
Small town run-ins that refresh old friendships.

Anyway..
I enjoyed remembering most of these things today, and it will give me something to ponder

Does each small action really have the potential to change a life?
Does everything really happen for a reason beyond our control, or do we have some/all of the power to control our own destiny?
And if so, how much say do we have in the  matter? 
Scary, exciting, nerve wracking, and exhilarating thoughts..

1 comment:

  1. I have an award for you =)
    http://soldiersangel629.blogspot.com/2011/09/versatile-blogger-award.html

    *No this is not spam LOL

    ReplyDelete